Renewable & Clean Energy - Towards A New Future
HCCB has ramped up its renewable & clean energy capacity to meet 50% of its energy requirements through these sources during 2020. The feat has enabled the company to offset 46,500 tonnes of carbon emission per annum with solar and wind energy and 30,000 tonnes of carbon emission per annum using biomass fuel in its boilers.
HCCB has employed a variety of solutions to embrace renewable energy across its factories. Some of the key initiatives include conversion of furnace oil boiler to PNG (piped natural gas), use of briquettes - made out of agricultural waste like groundnuts and coconut shells - to power boilers, installation of solar rooftops for on-site power generation, entering into Purchase Power Agreement (PPA) for sourcing wind and solar power through various state grids, adoption of energy efficient technology and progressively replacing traditional bulbs and light sources in our factories with LED lights. Additional initiatives include adoption of Vapour Absorption Machine (VAM) for chilling operations operating on Briquette Steam and so on.
- Offsets 76,500 tonnes of carbon emission through renewable and clean energy in 2020
- Consolidated impact on the climate is equivalent to a reduction in global warming achieved by 35 lac trees per year
- The milestone is in sync with the company’s plan to reduce its carbon emissions 25% by 2030 from a 2015 base year (science-based target)
- HCCB’s total installed annual power generation from renewable sources has increased to 95 million units in 2020
- Currently (by 2020), around 8 out of 15 factories of HCCB use nearly 50% of energy from renewable & clean sources